A contribution of appreciated securities benefits Fairfax County parks similar to a cash gift, but can be even more beneficial to the donor.
Benefits of Appreciated stock gifts
The charitable donation may reduce your income taxes.
- Avoid capital gains tax that would have applied if the you sold the shares yourself.
- Giving stock can be convenient, especially when these consist of a few stocks that are "odds and ends" or fractional shares.
Making the transfer is simple. Just follow these three easy steps:
- Create a letter similar to the sample below.
- Send the original letter to your broker.
- Provide a copy of the letter to the Fairfax County Park Foundation.
Please call 703-324-8582 or fax 703-324-3987 or email us for any questions
Dear [Broker name]:
Please consider this letter my/our request to transfer shares of [Company Name] from my/our account # _______________ to the following account:
Fairfax County Park Foundation, Inc.
TD Ameritrade Account #277458254 and DTC #0188.
My/Our signature(s) have been notarized below.
CC: Fairfax County Park Foundation
12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 404 Fairfax, VA 22035