Adopt a Chessie’s Carousel Animal!
A new carousel, similar to that at Clemyjontri Park in McLean, opened July 8, 2017 at Springfield’s Lee District Park. Located near Chessie's BIG Backyard play area and Our Special Harbor sprayground, this accessible carousel is a place which every child, including individuals with mobility issues, can enjoy.
A $10,000 gift to the Fairfax County Park Foundation enables the donor to name and adopt a special Chesapeake Bay-themed feature such as a Hummingbird, Frog, Deer, Whooping Crane, Swan Chair, Coyote, Wheelchair Chariot and beautiful Horses!
These carousel animals are available for adoption:
Call 703-324-8532 or email us!
The following animals have already been lovingly adopted:
Shell-Lee (Sea Turtle) adopted by Fairfax County Park Foundation
Sunshine (Grey Wind Dancer Horse) adopted by The Kelley Syron Sunshine Fund
Clemaline and Heneska (2 Horses with ADA seat) adopted by Hilltop Sand & Gravel Company
Soar (Eagle) adopted by Joey Pizzano Memorial Fund
Topaz (Seahorse) adopted by The Kelley Syron Sunshine Fund
Elane (Trojan horse) adopted by 495 and 95 Express Lanes operated by Transurban
Join these sponsors to help make all of
Chessie’s BIG Backyard a reality!
Sponsorship opportunities exist for major donors to fund elements of the facility which will be enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of children and family members each year. Questions? Contact us by e-mail or phone 703-324-8582.
See this rendering of Chessie's BIG Backyard playground sections including:
- A Chesapeake-Bay themed playground will incorporate slides, swings and other equipment specially designed for use by all children, including those with special needs.
- Tiki Village play area is open.
- Nautical Cove play area for ages 2-5 is open. Fundraising for protective shade structure is underway!
Future additions to Chessie's BIG Backyard include:
- The Carousel with old-fashioned charm will be thoroughly modern in design and fully accessible.
- A family picnic area with covered shelters will offer a place to take a break from the action to enjoy a picnic
Photographs from the Ribbon Cutting for the Tiki Village, Chessie's BIG Backyard first playground area.
Photographs from the Groundbreaking for Chessie's BIG Backyard.