The Family Recreation Area in Lee District Park is a unique destination for families including those with special needs throughout the metro area. Thank you for your support of these amenities, which opened in 2011.
- The Treehouse overlooks a forest and stream valley. Enter from gently-sloping ramps accessible to wheelchairs. This structure is from a generous bequest from the Elisabeth Guerry Newton estate.
- A one-of-a-kind Treehouse Seating Area was funded via memorial contributions from Springfield Toyota, friends and family of landscape architect, Robert W. Good, in honor of his life.
- Our Special Harbor encourages interaction and provides families and children of ALL abilities a place to enjoy water and have fun together. Disabilities vanish amid the Chesapeake setting of the 7,000 sq ft, zero-water-depth sprayground. The result of a public private partnership where Our Special Harbor was designed and built by the Joey Pizzano Memorial Fund and the Park Authority, it operates free of charge. Funding was also provided by the Virginia Board for People with Disabilities under the federal Developmental Disabilities and Bill of Rights Act.
- Support facilities includes restrooms and changing rooms.
- A temporary picnic shelter is a gathering and entertaining space.